SASSA (South African Social Security Agency) provides various types of social grants to eligible individuals in South Africa who are in need of financial assistance. The types of grants offered by SASSA include:
- Older Persons Grant: This grant is provided to South African citizens or permanent residents who are 60 years and older and who are not receiving any other social grant.
- Disability Grant: This grant is provided to South African citizens or permanent residents who have a disability and are unable to support themselves financially.
- Child Support Grant: This grant is provided to parents or primary caregivers of children under the age of 18 who are South African citizens or permanent residents and who are in need of financial assistance.
- Foster Child Grant: This grant is provided to foster parents or primary caregivers of foster children who are South African citizens or permanent residents and who are in need of financial assistance.
- Care Dependency Grant: This grant is provided to parents or primary caregivers of children with severe disabilities who are South African citizens or permanent residents and who require full-time care.
To apply for a SASSA grant, you can visit your nearest SASSA office and bring along your ID, proof of income and any other relevant documentation. You can also apply online through the SASSA website.
Under the new regulation, SRD beneficiaries had to reapply and ensure that they met the new criteria of having a monthly threshold of R350.
The South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) has a process in place that will help the Agency know whether or not to continue disbursing the SRD grant to beneficiaries.
In order for Sassa to be able to do this, beneficiaries are required to reconfirm their existing R350 grant application.
How to reconfirm your existing R350 grant application
- Click on the SRD website
- Scroll down to “Reconfirm your grant application”
- Click the yellow bar that reads “click here to reconfirm your existing application”
- Insert ID number
- Insert mobile number
- Click send SMS
- You will receive a One-Time Pin (OTP) via SMS
- Insert Pin
- Click on verify pin
- Then follow all of the necessary steps to complete the process
Sassa requires SRD R350 grant applicants to reconfirm their grant applications at least once every 3 months.
This will then inform the Agency that applicants still need and qualify for the SRD grant in terms of the new regulations.
It is also said that existing applicants can also update their responses to a screening questionnaire that is found on the SRD website, at any point in time, should their circumstances change or to correct errors.
Since 2005, Sassa has provided financial support grants to some of the most vulnerable members of our society, helping them meet their basic needs. Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, the R350 grant has become a safety net for thousands of lower income, unemployed and disabled South Africa citizens.