The University of the Free State has a large health sciences faculty which boasts five different schools of study. One of them is the School of Nursing, which is now accepting applications for the 2024 academic year.
The University of the Free State (UFS) is one of South Africa’s oldest universities, having first been established in 1904. Over its many years of operation, not only has UFS grown to be a well-respected institution, but it has also prepared many South African students with the knowledge and skills to enter the working world.
Their Faculty of Health Sciences in particular has continued to grow over the years, now boasting five of its own schools. These include:
- The School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
- The School of Biomedical Sciences
- The School of Clinical Medicine
- The School of Pathology
- The School of Nursing
According to their website, the UFS School of Nursing “remains at the forefront of nursing education with their innovative simulation, teaching, and learning facilities.”
When to Apply
Every year, the School of Nursing accepts new applications until the 31st of July. The same applies for 2024 applicants.
The minimum requirements to apply for a Bachelor of Nursing are:
- An Admission Point Score (APS) of 30
- A minimum 50% average in English
- A minimum 40% average in Mathematics (or 70% in Mathematical Literacy)
- A minimum 60% average in Life Sciences (or 50% in Physical Sciences)
How to Apply
Students can apply to study nursing online by completing the following steps:
- Visit the UFS Applications page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the ‘Start Application’ page and click ‘New Application.’
- Then, begin filling in the information at each stage of the application and click ‘next’ after each one.
- Once you reach step four titled ‘Study Choices,’ make sure to select Bachelor of Nursing.
- Continue to complete the steps until you reach step nine, titled ‘Complete.’
If you have filled in all your information correctly and uploaded all necessary documents, your application will be complete. Now, all that you will have to do is await a response.