The SA Social Security Agency (SASSA) encourages every caregivers of orphans to apply for the new extended child support grant.
Social Assistance is provided in the form of:
- Grant for older persons
- Disability grant
- War veterans grant
- Care dependency grant
- Foster child grant
- Child support grant
- Social Relief of Distress
SASSA has added R240 to the original R480 child support grant for the children whose parents are no longer available to support them (orphaned) . Those parents might have passed away or their location is no longer known by the caregiver and their children.
The new extended grant total is R720.
How to Qualify for SASSA extended child grant
The current caregiver of the child must provide the death certificate of the child’s parents or the affidavit stating that the other parent is no longer around and they do not know where they are .
More qualification criteria are as follow
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- The primary caregiver must be a South African citizen, permanent resident or refugee.
- Both the applicant and the child must reside in South Africa.
- The applicant must be the primary caregiver of the child/ children concerned.
- The child/children must be born after 31 December 1993.
- The applicant and spouse must meet the requirements of the means test.
- Child can not apply for more than six non-biological children.
- Children can not be cared for in state institutions.
Apply for SASSA extended child support grant
To apply for the extended grant
Step 1. Go to the SASSA social grant website
Step 2. Click on “Child support grant”
Step 3. Click on “Social grant forms”
Step 4. Choose the form you want to download in PDF
Step 5. Complete ii and upload it back to the system.